Saturday, March 28, 2015
Change
This new year has brought a lot of change to our family. Some bitter and some sweet! First, we lost my sweet Grandma Irma. I was 37 weeks pregnant and in the no travel zone so I wasn't able to attend the funeral. I think that was the hardest part. I know everyone said the funeral was beautiful and a great tribute to my Grandma. I did get to see her one last time on Christmas Day. We went to visit and LuAnn and Robert were there. They talked us into playing Knock Knock and we sat around playing cards. Grandma sat next to us in the recliner enjoying everyone being there. The moment was a lot like how I remember things growing up. We would always beg to come over after Thanksgiving dinner or on the weekend and play games. I don't ever remember her saying a lot on those nights but more just enjoying having everyone over. However, if you got cornered on your own you would be there for hours hearing about everything and everyone. I definitely did not inherit her memory! There are also many memories that will always bring a smile to my face such as her and LuAnn fighting every year at Thanksgiving on whether or not we were going to save the plastic utensils, or the piles of mail that she received and went through every piece picking out which child or grand child would enjoy reading it. I remember everyone going to her house to finish their quilts. As a child I remember playing with LuAnn's tea set under the quilt and as I got older I remember her helping me finish my quilts. She was always ready and willing to help quilt. Grandma loved to garden and always tried to plant some form of a garden even as she got older. Everytime we would stop by I would have to go out to the old dirt cellar under the old house and get potatoes and carrots. To be completely honest I was always a little afraid of it. I remember how frugal my grandma was. Nothing was to be wasted and everything saved. (Pics later)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment