On one of Matt's "free" weekends he was able to ride El Tour de Tucson. This was Matt's second year riding in El Tour de Tucson. This is a bike race that is over 100 miles long and you ride the outskirts of Tucson. This is the 2nd year that Matt was able to ride for his friend Greg Maciulla. As a team they support him in finishing. Their goal is always platinum which is under 5 hours. Despite the fact that it rained the entire time they were on the road, and that Matt crashed at some point and that Greg got a flat tire right before the finish they came in just over 5 hours. We were all so proud of them. It really was the neatest thing to see them all coming in together with Greg in the middle. By the time they crossed the finish line they were freezing and shivering. We felt so bad for them. Plans changed for Carter and I as soon as we realized it was going to rain the whole time. Our original plan was to see them off at the start, meet them somewhere in the middle to "feed"them and then head back to the finish line to see them come in. As Carter and I drove to the start the rain just kept coming and coming. I was convinced that they would have to cancel the race. I also realized there was no way I could get Carter soaking wet at 6 in the morning. So, Carter and I , along with another mommy and her baby decided to skip the start and get breakfast at Starbucks where it was nice and warm. After that it turned into a lot of waiting in the car. :( We drove to the feeding zone but it of course was still raining so we waited for them to come in the car. We were able to get out for a quick second and watch them ride by. Afterwards we hopped in the car and went to the finish line where we waited in the car again so we weren't standing in the rain too long. Finally we went to the finish line and waited out in the rain to watch them come in! I was proud of them for finishing but more grateful that the entire team made it back safely, with no big injuries. (I know some riders had to go to the hospital for hypothermia.)


After the race.
So cold!!
I loved this lady's sign which said "good swim."
Waiting it out in the rain.
That little green speck is Matt. We got a glimpse of him half way through. ;)
Still more waiting. She was such a good girl.
Matt's hands after the race.
Carter was so tired by the end that she just crashed!! Poor thing!!!
Breakfast. Nice and warm.
Trying to stay dry.
No comments:
Post a Comment